Announcement for 2021!
If you wish to have your unused award for Summer 2020 applied to Summer 2021 fees, please fill out the Form for Families Who Applied For Summer 2020. If your circumstances have changed and you would like to apply for an adjusted amount please fill out the Returning Camper Application (Short Form). If you attended camp in 2020 and used your scholarship award and want to apply for a Summer 2021 scholarship, please fill out the Returning Camper Application (Short Form).
At the JCRS, we recognize the value of Jewish sleep-away camp as a unique opportunity for fun, personal growth, and Jewish identity-building. Jewish sleep-away camp allows children to enjoy new social and learning in a special environment that nurtures Jewish identity.
The JCRS would like all interested children to have this opportunity, but we recognize that for many families the high cost of overnight camp is prohibitive. In 2019, the JCRS provided partial scholarship funding for over 300 children to attend Jewish camp. The amount of these scholarships varies in accordance with the circumstances of the child and family.
Please read all information and application requirements carefully. Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a confirmation email from our Camp Coordinator within 2 weeks.
- Children must reside in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee or Texas.
- Camper should be entering third to twelfth grade as of August 31, 2021.
- Camps or travel programs located in Israel or other countries are not within the scope of this program budget
- A camp must be a nonprofit sleep-away camp under Jewish auspices.
- Camps must be located anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. Camps located in Israel are not within the scope of this program budget.
- It is the responsibility of the person submitting the application to ensure that the camp meets these qualifications. We have provided a list of camps below, attended by applicants 2011-19. Please check this list. If the camp that your child plans to attend is not on the list, contact the camp to make sure it complies with our criteria.
- Parents or guardians must provide family financial information. This information is maintained in private and is used by the JCRS solely to determine eligibility for a scholarship.
- It is the policy of the JCRS to obtain financial information from all legal parents and guardians of the applicant. Applications not containing this information will be marked “incomplete” and returned to the parent or guardian who submitted it.
- Parents or guardians must sign permission for the JCRS to collaborate with other local organizations that give camp assistance or scholarships. This allows the JCRS to distribute scholarship funds in a fair manner among as many families as possible.
- To receive priority consideration, completed applications must be received no later than February 15, 2021. A completed date will not be entered until all requested information is received.
How to Apply
Have These Documents Ready to Upload:
- Most Current Federal Tax Return (2019 tax return, if applying after April 15, 2020, or proof of extension of your 2019 return. All forms and schedules are required. Make sure the tax return is a PDF file (and not a Turbo Tax .Tax2011 file)
- All 2019 W2s and/or 1099s forms (most current). (2020 W2s and/or 1099s if applying after January 31, 2021).
- Copy of most recent final pay stub(s) from 2020 if you do not yet have your 2020 W-2(s)
If these documents are not already computer files, you must scan them. Make sure to review the scanning instructions for your particular scanner. All pages of your tax return must be sent as a single PDF document. Both sides of your W2(s) must be sent as a single PDF document.
The priority deadline is February 15, 2021.
If you have any questions, email Amelia Halstead at Amelia@jcrs.org.
Things to Remember:
- You do NOT have to complete the application in one session. You can go back to the website and complete it at your leisure.
- You have 30 days to complete the application, after which time the data will be lost. Therefore, do not start the application until you get all of your documents and information together.
- You will still need to upload the required documents. Therefore, have them handy before starting the application.
- Camps or travel programs located in Israel or other countries are not within the scope of this program budget.
- The RETURNING camper application (SHORT FORM) is only for those families who have submitted a NEW Camper application (LONG FORM) to JCRS for a camp scholarship either in 2019 or 2020. It is imperative that returning campers complete the application and send in all required documents. Since the application is shorter, we may ask for further information at a later time. Additional information will most likely be requested if there is a change to your tax return and/or W2.
- If you have more than one child applying to camp: Different campers in the same household may be combined on the same application if all of the campers share the same relationships with the same set of biological or custodial parents. Campers who have different biological or custodial parents from one another should be listed on separate applications. You may include a child who will be attending camp for the first time on the RETURNING Camper Application (SHORT FORM) if you completed an application for another child in 2019 or 2020 (regardless if that child is reapplying this year).