Through generous grants and no-interest loans, JCRS College Aid helps financially challenged students get one step closer to a cap and gown – and therefore one step closer to financial stability and self-sufficiency.
JCRS provides scholarships for college or vocational training in the form of grants and/or no-interest loans based on financial need. Many of the college students who receive aid from JCRS are from very low income families. On average, each academic year the program funds approximately 140 students with an average award of about $2,000. Typically, freshman and sophomores are eligible for grants for the academic year. Juniors and seniors generally are eligible for a combination of grants and no-interest loans. Unless other arrangements are made, repayments of these no-interest loans are expected to begin within three months after completion of undergraduate education or after discontinuing schooling. JCRS does not fund students studying abroad; this includes Israel, even for college credit.
Student applicants are selected by a Committee of the JCRS and decisions are based on financial need. The Committee will review each applicant’s career plan, financial resources, and anticipated expenses in reaching its decisions. Students who work and have income which can be applied toward their college expenses are viewed more favorably than those who are not involved in helping to meet their expenses.
The committee expects or views more favorably those students who make cost effective decisions and have a sustainable financial plan when choosing schools for their career path.
The JCRS College Aid Program is directed primarily to undergraduate college students who are under the age of 25 when they begin the term for which assistance is being sought. Because of limited funds, graduate students can be considered for assistance only after all undergraduate applications have been reviewed.
In order to be considered, each applicant must meet and agree with the following criteria:
- Be a Jewish student residing in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee or Texas
- Be a permanent resident of the United States
- Attend college/training program in the United States (We do not fund programs in Israel)
- Be a United States citizen – refugees, who are not naturalized citizens may be considered on a case by case basis
- The completed application must be received no later than May 31 for the upcoming school year
How to complete the application:
This year, we will be completing the entire application and uploading documents on one site.
- Open the appropriate link below.
- Look over the entire application. This will give you an opportunity to know what information you might need to gather.
- Fill out the application.
- You may stop, save and resume at any time.
- You will have 30 days to return and finish filling out the form, after which time their data will be lost. This timer is reset every time you re-save the form. Once a Save and Resume link is made to finish the form and you click ‘Submit’, then the link will no longer be active.
- Upload the required documents listed below.
- Submit the application.
- 2015 Federal Tax Return for Parents, complete with all forms and schedules
- 2015 Federal Tax Return for Applicant, if applicable
- Make sure the tax returns are PDF files (and not a Turbo Tax .Tax2012 file)
- All W2 and/or 1099 forms for both parents and applicant
- 2016-17 Financial Aid Letter from college
If these documents are not already computer files, you must scan them. Make sure to review the scanning instructions for your particular scanner. All pages of your tax return must be a single PDF document. Both sides of your W2(s) must be a single PDF document.
For Returning College Students:
For New College Aid Applicants:
Please remember, you do not have to complete the application at one time. You have 30 days to complete the application. Your application will be disappear after 30 days.
You will receive a confirmation email from JCRS within two weeks of submitting your application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Lisa Tabb at Lisa@JCRS.org.
Should you require any additional information, you can reach us by e-mail at CollegeAid@jcrs.org
or by phone using the following numbers:
US/Canada: 1-800-SAY-JCRS – Toll-free
(504) 828-6334 ext. 204 – New Orleans, LA
(832) 767-9097 – Houston, TX