Through generous grants and no-interest loans, JCRS College Aid helps financially challenged students get one step closer to a cap and gown – and therefore one step closer to financial stability and self-sufficiency.
Please read all information and application requirements carefully. You will receive a confirmation email from JCRS within two weeks of submitting your application. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Lisa Tabb at Lisa@JCRS.org.
JCRS provides scholarships for college or vocational training in the form of grants and/or no-interest loans based on financial need. Many of the college students who receive aid from JCRS are from very low income families. On average, each academic year the program funds approximately 88 students with an average award of about $2,600. Typically, freshman and sophomores are eligible for grants for the academic year. Juniors and seniors generally are eligible for a combination of grants and no-interest loans. Unless other arrangements are made, repayments of these no-interest loans are expected to begin within three months after completion of undergraduate education or after discontinuing schooling. JCRS does not fund students studying abroad; this includes Israel, even for college credit.
- Be a Jewish student residing in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee or Texas
- Be a permanent resident of the United States
- Attend college/training program in the United States (We do not fund programs in Israel)
- Be a United States citizen – refugees, who are not naturalized citizens may be considered on a case by case basis
- The completed application must be received no later than May 31 for the upcoming school year
The committee expects or views more favorably those students who make cost effective decisions and have a sustainable financial plan when choosing schools for their career path.
The JCRS College Aid Program is directed primarily to undergraduate college students who are under the age of 25 when they begin the term for which assistance is being sought. Because of limited funds, graduate students can be considered for assistance only after all undergraduate applications have been reviewed.
How to Apply
Have These Documents Ready to Upload:
- 2019 Federal Tax Return for Parents, complete with all forms and schedules. If you do not have your 2019 Tax Return due to the extension, upload your 2018 Tax Return. But then send in your 2019 when it is available.
- 2019 Federal Tax Return for Applicant, if applicable. Make sure the tax returns are PDF files (and not a Turbo Tax .Tax2012 file).
- Each tax return must be sent as one file. (Do not upload separate pages).
- All W2 and/or 1099 forms for both parents and applicant
- 2020-21 Financial Aid Letter from college
Applications are due May 31st to give you time to receive all the above necessary documents.
Do not submit until ALL required documents are attached.
If these documents are not already computer files, you must scan them. Make sure to review the scanning instructions for your particular scanner. All pages of your tax return must be sent as a single PDF document. Both sides of your W2(s) must be sent as a single PDF document.
Things to Remember:
- You do not have to complete the application at one time. You can click the Save and Resume button on the bottom each page of the application. It will give you a link and ask for your email, in order to forward this link.
- You have 30 days to complete the application, after which time the data will be lost. Therefore, do not start the application until you get all of your documents and information together.
- You will need to upload the required documents in order to submit the application.
We do not give scholarships for Gap Years.
All first time JCRS College Aid Applicants must complete the “First Time College Aid Application”, even if you previously attended college or received college credits through a gap year program.
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Tabb
(504) 828-6334 Lisa@JCRS.org Cell: (504) 717-3621
If you are from the Houston area, please contact Melanie Musser
(832) 767-9097 Melanie@JCRS.org