Jewish Children’s Regional Service began in 1855 as an orphanage and is currently the oldest existing Jewish children’s social services organization in the United States, as well as the only regional Jewish child social services agency in the country.

Our Funding

The Jewish Children’s Regional Service is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency.  As a “grass roots” organization, we receive the majority of the funding for our $1,000,000 – $1,500,000 budget from individual donors. The JCRS receives no United Way funds and no government grants.  While Jewish Federation allocations comprise 5% of our budget income, the remaining 95% comes from individual contributions, private foundations, and income created by our permanent named scholarship funds.  Each year, 1,500 – 2,000 households made donations to our programs. All donations to JCRS are tax deductible.   JCRS is audited annually by the New Orleans accounting firm Duplantier, Hrapmann, Hogan and Maher.

Our Board

100 – 150 JCRS Board members  represent 40 – 50 large and small Jewish communities throughout our seven states.  Some Board members are past aid recipients.  Some were reared in the former Jewish Children’s Home or are children or grandchildren of these alumni.  Many of the Board members serve on our Education and Special Needs committees.  They also represent our agency throughout the seven states.

Our Clients

Our clients come from Jewish families who reside throughout the seven states.  Most of these families are struggling with financial, health and learning problems.  A large percentage of the children we serve (approximately 40%) come from single-parent households.  Many come from dependent, at-risk families who struggle to provide the necessary care, supervision and stability to meet their childrens’ needs.  JCRS also reaches out to children from immigrant families and those serving in the military.

In today’s society, most families are only one job loss, a handicapped child, one major illness or injury, a marital separation, or one devastating hurricane away from financial difficulty. When those challenges occur, whether it is with college aid, camp scholarships, Hanukkah gifts, or financial subsidies for special needs, the JCRS is there.